MSEMVS work currently in Chandauli (Preetpur Kodaniya) where child protection indicators around child marriage, hazardous work or exploitation and trafficking are high.
Prevention Model: prevention model for most vulnerable villages/urban basis/districts facilitates working relationships between most marginalized women and children in hotspots and key child protection officials like police, education officials, child marriage prohibition officer and labour officials.
Program PACT: Parents And Children against Trafficking/Harm Aangan’s training module for community based volunteers to be able to engage as barefoot child protection workers. Developed in consultation with women from most marginalized communities and drawing on UNICEF tools, this curriculum combines:
a) An orientation to child protection including an introduction to key laws, policies and stakeholders relevant to child protection.
b) Case studies about real life child protection challenges that help the group generate solutions effectively and combine technical knowledge with communication/negotiation skills.
c) Group wellness work to ensure that the group is resilient and able to mobilize the larger community.
d) Hands on child protection projects.
Shakti Girl Safety Network Tools: Aangan’s interpretation of the word “safe” includes protection from violence, abuse and neglect, access to rights and basic services, family and community ties and access to education/opportunities. The Shakti set of easy-to-use tools is designed for use by women volunteers – with training and coaching at points along the year. This three year curriculum is designed to keep girls engaged, safe, supported and in school through:
• Junior Shakti,: A story/book club format to introduce girl-safety themes for preadolescents. Aangan runs this curriculum both in and out of schools.
• Shakti, Case Study Sessions: This resilience building tool focuses on helping the group recognize early warning signs related to harm that are risky and may lead to trafficking, child marriage, hazardous work or abuse. It uses fictionalized case studies about adolescent children in 10 month-episodic engaging formats that challenge to “rehearse” catching the signs, generating solutions and finding support to act.
• Shakti, Small Group and Individual Shakti, Workbooks (Red, Green, Blue, Pink books): These tools aim to empower girls so they are able to affect change for themselves as well as peers in the community.
Chauraha Boy Safety Network: Chauraha tools are designed for use by volunteers, who are trained and coached during the year by Aangan trainers. The Chauraha curriculum includes:
• Chauraha Case Study Sessions: This resilience building tool focuses on helping the group recognize early warning signs related to harm that are risky and may lead to trafficking, child marriage, hazardous work or abuse. It uses fictionalized case studies about adolescent children in 10 month-episodic engaging formats that challenge to “rehearse” catching the signs, generating solutions and finding support to act.
• Chauraha Go Book: Provides planning templates for children to think about risks and prepare for their safety and future. Themes covered include: education, education/vocation, substance abuse, and peer networks.
• Promundo’s unique gender work curriculum for boys developed and tested in Colombia and Mexico is adapted and used to help adolescent boys reorient the notion of masculinity (traditionally linked to violence or aggression) to introduce effective behaviours that are likely to prevent unsafe behaviour.